Linux Works - The Rest is Up To Dumb Fucks, like Trig, to Screw Up
John H. Gohde
2015-01-06 23:09:16 UTC
Now, where was I before the peanut gallery had THEIR kissy-fit mental breakdown?
John H. Gohde
2015-01-06 23:12:42 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
Now, where was I before the peanut gallery had THEIR kissy-fit mental breakdown?
=====

Linux Mint 17 continues to suffer from the same problem Moi documented in Mint 12, only at an accelerated rate, due to their poor software update design.

In other words, running Linux Mint version 17, the Adobe FLASHplugin fails to install. But when running Linux Mint version 17.1, when updating the exact same FireFox browser packages the the Adobe FLASHplugin update successively installs.

Unlike with Windows XP, you constantly have to install the latest version, otherwise your installed Mint software will eventually STOP working. Just a piss-poor update design, which the Mint people apparently have no intentions of correcting.

Moi would rather burn up his Blank DVDs that were purchased long ago, than fool around playing with the Linux command line and trying to correct low-level headaches by mucking around with stuff, no computer user would ever be allowed to do if they were working for some organization with an IT department.

Computers should be simple to use. That is why we have a Linux Desktop, after all. Updating the Adobe FLASHplugin should be transparent to Mint users. Currently, it is NOT.
John H. Gohde
2015-01-06 23:41:01 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by John H. Gohde
[...]

Today, I connected ALL four (4) of my computers to the Internet at the same time via an Ethernet Switch. It works and basically forms as simple a home network as you can possibly get. Now, if I am downloading the latest incarnation of Linux Mint, Moi can still be doing other stuff stuff on the Web, provided that my ISP has not decide to crap out.

On a true, Windows XP home network, which I have set up before, you basically could copy files off of another computer or run programs on a different computer. Still there would be very little reason to do so since the entire point is to keep all four computers physically separated from each other.

It would be interesting to take a closer look at all those other crazy options being offered on the Ubuntu Minimal Installation CD, that are NON-Desktop applications.

Next, step would be trying to do the same thing with a Ethernet Router, thus forming a hardware firewall. Since I do NOT keep the Internet connection running 24x7 there is very little reason to have to deal with the additional headache presented by a router.

Moi might some day add a 5th computer that would run some NON-Linux Desktop applications such as perhaps a printer server or a connection to my 1,000GB external hard drive. Here again there would be very little reason to do so, since all the computers are physically located in the same room.

One day, Moi can visualize adding home security video cameras to the mix that would be located a fair distance away from my computer room.

One day, I might try to get fancy and hook up a 72 inch flat screen in the living room to the Internet via my home network. Nevertheless, I am certainly in no rush to do so.

I am planning to be here another 30 years. Usenet ngs will no doubt be taken down for being hopelessly obsolete long before moi bites the dust. :)

With this crude Network set up, Moi can be working on Web Development and boot up a different computer to surf the Web on, or to make an online purchase on the correct computer without shutting down the first computer, or even dropping its Internet connection.
⊙_⊙
2015-01-07 01:12:17 UTC
John H. Gohde
2015-01-08 17:30:37 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by John H. Gohde
[...]
On my Dell Dim 4700 computer Moi dumped the AVG antivirus program for Ad-Aware FREE Antivirus.

YES, AVG stopped working / self-destructed for the last time. ONLY time will tell how well Ad-Aware works out.

Ad-Aware might actually provide more protection against Spyware and Rogue Web sites. It might NOT. It could be just more of the NON-Stop Microsoft Windows software bullshit designed to extract money from its victims.

If the damn thing actually did its job, shut up about it, and NOT constantly get in my face, Moi might actually consider paying for an Anti-virus service. The problem is that you would ONLY be in most cases opening the door to more never-ending extortion and non-stop harassment / begging.

Je suis Moi.

So far, the Ethernet Switch is work quite well.
John H. Gohde
2015-01-27 13:00:37 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
So far, the Ethernet Switch is work quite well.
Moi made it to Goodwill, yesterday, in order to blow $5 on Wi-Fi, for the home front.

Yeah, just in time to get a heavy dusting of snow.
Posting into the Vacuum of Space
2015-01-28 07:05:39 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by John H. Gohde
So far, the Ethernet Switch is work quite well.
Moi made it to Goodwill, yesterday, in order to blow $5 on Wi-Fi, for the home front.
Yeah, just in time to get a heavy dusting of snow.
The GF was by today and she got a laugh from your comment ;)
As you got the number right :) If my wit becomes vastly more cutting
know that she is posting as me.

That said JG don't let them try to shame you as regards the cheap (used) tech that fills its function is clever enough. All tech gets old as do
all users of all tech.

Cohabitation is the word..................Trig
John H. Gohde
2015-01-28 13:32:12 UTC
Post by Posting into the Vacuum of Space
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by John H. Gohde
So far, the Ethernet Switch is work quite well.
Moi made it to Goodwill, yesterday, in order to blow $5 on Wi-Fi, for the home front.
Yeah, just in time to get a heavy dusting of snow.
The GF was by today and she got a laugh from your comment ;)
As you got the number right :) If my wit becomes vastly more cutting
know that she is posting as me.
That said JG don't let them try to shame you as regards the cheap (used) tech that fills its function is clever enough. All tech gets old as do
all users of all tech.
Cohabitation is the word..................Trig
I love my broken-in compact wireless NetGear router. LinkSys, for example, with its flying wing design takes up too much desk space.

Remember this, every remotely major city in the United States has its own Goodwill Computer Center store located somewhere in a community near you.

From the tons of crap that they are selling, all you have to do is buy the real gems.

Je suis Moi.

Taka
2015-01-28 16:21:43 UTC
MOI better socialize with people rather than his Goodwill stores and Internet NGs!

Addiction is currently defined as a chemical dependency caused entirely by the way the body reacts to a certain substance.

But Johann Hari, author of "Chasing The Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs," believes it is a vital element of one's life that drives a person to addiction.

He recalls seeing an anti-drug commercial in the 1980s featuring an old experiment in which a rat was placed in a cage with two water bottles.

One bottle contained pure water while the other was laced with heroin or cocaine.

The rat became addicted to the second bottle and drank until it died.

Vancouver Psychology Professor Bruce Alexander, however, didn't think the rat kept drinking the drugged water solely because it wanted to.

He hypothesized it drank the drugged water simply because it was in a cage and had nothing else to do.

Professor Alexander would repeat the experiment but in a different environment he called Rat Park. This was a cage filled with toys, tunnels, food and, most importantly, other rats to play with.

The rats were presented two water bottles, just like the first experiment.

They tried the drugged water, but not one of them became addicted or died.

Their happy environment, Alexander concluded, instead caused them to ignore the drugged water after drinking just a little of it.

Hari initially interpreted this to be a unique characteristic of rats.

This was until he realized that the exact same thing was happening to Vietnam veterans.

He remembers reading 20 percent of soldiers had developed addictions to heroin overseas, but 95 percent of them were able to kick this habit when they came home.

Once they went from a frightening environment to a happy one, there was no longer a need for drugs.

It's the caliber of one's "cage," Professor Alexander said, that makes one an addict.

He set out to prove this theory by taking rats that had developed addictions and placing them inside the Rat Park.

These rats had consumed drugged water in isolation for 57 days straight and would once again have the drugs at their disposal.

One would imagine them to just continue their addiction, but after displaying brief withdrawal symptoms, they kicked their habits completely.

They adjusted to a happy life inside this new cage, which basically saved their lives.

This is why Hari believes the real cure for addiction is putting addicts in a positive, social environment.

The country Portugal proved him right about 15 years ago, when 1 percent of the country's population was addicted to heroin.

Instead of arresting and jailing addicts, Portugal decriminalized all drugs and invested in establishing housing, jobs and clinics for addicts.

Addicts connected with fellow victims and were gradually re-introduced to society with a new reason to live.

The result was a 50 percent decrease in the use of intravenous drugs in the country.

Hari urges the world to follow Portugal's example, surrounding addicts with opportunities for fulfillment and support.

And for those suffering from addiction, maybe it's time you welcome them into your "cage."

SOURCE: http://elitedaily.com/news/world/scientists-may-discovered-real-cause-addiction/915030/
Taka
2015-01-29 01:06:01 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
Yeah, just in time to get a heavy dusting of snow.
Has the snowstorm cut Moi from the rest of the World?

John H. Gohde
2015-01-29 04:02:11 UTC
http://youtu.be/3zjlZ8P_Ng0
LOL - Moi shared your vid link on COLA.
Taka
2015-02-03 12:14:02 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
http://www.liftbump.com/2015/02/38147-autistic-man-reports-weather/

Moi can be jealous of him, he is reporting weather better than Moi's reporting his "natural health", LOL
John H. Gohde
2015-02-03 15:38:48 UTC
Post by Taka
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by Taka
Post by John H. Gohde
Yeah, just in time to get a heavy dusting of snow.
Has the snowstorm cut Moi from the rest of the World?
http://youtu.be/3zjlZ8P_Ng0
LOL - Moi shared your vid link on COLA.
http://www.liftbump.com/2015/02/38147-autistic-man-reports-weather/
Moi can be jealous of him, he is reporting weather better than Moi's reporting his "natural health", LOL
Pipe down Bozo while Moi effectively grows NEW brain cells BY wrestling with different Linux distros.

Je suis Moi, coming from Trisquel.
http://youtu.be/liq__GnfNB0
Taka
2015-02-04 16:28:40 UTC
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by Taka
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by Taka
Post by John H. Gohde
Yeah, just in time to get a heavy dusting of snow.
Has the snowstorm cut Moi from the rest of the World?
http://youtu.be/3zjlZ8P_Ng0
LOL - Moi shared your vid link on COLA.
http://www.liftbump.com/2015/02/38147-autistic-man-reports-weather/
Moi can be jealous of him, he is reporting weather better than Moi's reporting his "natural health", LOL
Pipe down Bozo while Moi effectively grows NEW brain cells BY wrestling with different Linux distros.
Je suis Moi, coming from Trisquel.
http://youtu.be/liq__GnfNB0
Moi's just wrestling with his own stupidity, LOL
An old dog chasing his own tail...
John H. Gohde
2015-02-04 21:37:48 UTC
Post by Taka
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by Taka
Post by John H. Gohde
Post by Taka
Post by John H. Gohde
Yeah, just in time to get a heavy dusting of snow.
Has the snowstorm cut Moi from the rest of the World?
http://youtu.be/3zjlZ8P_Ng0
LOL - Moi shared your vid link on COLA.
http://www.liftbump.com/2015/02/38147-autistic-man-reports-weather/
Moi can be jealous of him, he is reporting weather better than Moi's reporting his "natural health", LOL
Pipe down Bozo while Moi effectively grows NEW brain cells BY wrestling with different Linux distros.
Je suis Moi, coming from Trisquel.
http://youtu.be/liq__GnfNB0
Moi's just wrestling with his own stupidity, LOL
An old dog chasing his own tail...
that is abut it.

Everything Linux has its own unique way of fucking up.

John H. Gohde
2015-01-31 20:31:50 UTC
Moi made a major breakthrough on the Linux front.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes. Depending upon how radical you take it, the Linux Movement is practically a religion for some people. For others, NOT at all.

There is actually a reason why FLASH does NOT work in so many different Linux distros, which has more to do with ethics and which philosophy of Linux camp the developers belong in, than it has to do with technology.

Of course, nobody but nobody is talking about the real issues. On top of all that, most of the Linux gibberish on the Web is just that, gibberish. It ALL has to be decoded before any remotely rational person can make heads or tails of it.

Despite the best efforts of the Trolls on Usenet Ngs, Moi has finally figured out what in the hell is going on.

Je suis Moi.
http://youtu.be/liq__GnfNB0